Friday, March 21, 2008

Current Problem


This is my big problem right now, zits. Ugh! I'm 28 years old, I should not be worrying about pimples! I know, I'm crazy for sharing this with the world, but I'm really not a shy person, and I do not embarrass easily. If you know me, you know that.
So, I was using Proactiv, you know the stuff Vanessa Williams and Jessica Simpson use. I used it and it worked fine, I would still have my *ahem* monthly breakouts, but other than that it was a pretty good product. The thing I liked best about it was that the cleanser was an exfoliater as well. I loved that I was shedding off the top layer of skin and exposing soft supple skin every time I washed. It was a 3 part system, cleanser/toner/moisturizer. The only problem is that it was $60 for the set, and I think that was about every month and a half. That's pretty expensive if you ask me! So, I went back to plain old Noxema. I've had these zits around my mouth for about 3 months now. Grrrrr. As you can see, they're starting to spread to my cheek! Noxema didn't work, tried it for about a month, no good. I then tried Clean & Clear's Continuous Control Acne Cleanser, 'a daily cleanser that keeps fighting breakouts long after you wash'. It's supposed to stop zits from appearing, but all it did was keep them under the surface, so I just had bumps around my mouth. Annoying. Right now I'm using Clearasil's Deep Cleansing Scrub, which has the exfoliating beads, but it's just not doing the job either. I've also tried Nutrogena in the past, didn't work. I've tried each of these for about a month, so I know it's really not working. I've also used different moisturizers, Practiv's Clinique's, right now I'm just using Cetaphil lotion. The lotion is fragrence free and non-comedogenic. I got this off of WiseGeek...."The theory behind using lotions that are non-comedogenic is that by not blocking pores, they will reduce the incidence of pimples." So, it can't be this lotion that's causing my stupid zits. I just don't know what to try next, I feel like a stupid ass meth head. Oh how I hate meth heads. I know everyone will tell me I don't look like that. I just really feel like when I'm walking through the store people might think they're not plain old zits, they're meth pocks. Yuck!!! Makes me so angry, not at other people, not at myself really, just my stupid skin. So, to all of those that read my blog (I know there are a few other people than my mom, sisters and close friends), any ideas? I'm really hoping someone will have some kind of magic potion, or old wives tale as to what I can do about this. Come on, help me out here.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Hey Shelle, I don't know if you remember from High school, but I married Brandon Schmidt. Anyways, I totally feel for your problem! Here is what I came up with. The only thing that has worked for me is proactiv also, but also hate how much it costs. For me I can just use the cleanser and not the whole 3 part system and it takes care of the acne. And I get it through the mail, and that is tons cheaper than the mall. So I get 3 cleansers for 39.99 + shipping (45.90). That covers me for about 2 months or longer. I have used proactiv for 3 years now, and it's the best thing i can find. I think you can also get it on ebay, but I don't know how cheap it is. Good luck, it sucks to break out at our age!!

Laura said...

Okay, well, I don't know about any magic potion, but since I got pregnant this time around, I had been breaking out on my cheeks and around my mouth like that pretty badly. Then I started using a homemade body scrub, and tried it on my face, like "What the heck, how badly can it hurt?" Since I've been using it, I've really cleared up a lot-- and it DOES work magic on making my legs and arms softer! When I rub it on my elbows, they get so much softer, it's crazy.
Anyway, if your face is very oily, it may not work for you, but it's worth a try!

You put a few cups of regular kitchen sugar into a container (something like a whipped cream tub works great), then mix it in with olive oil until it's moist, but not sloshy. Then just exfoliate with it in the shower! It feels so good rubbing in, it's the best exfoliator I've ever used. After you put it on, you just rinse, and it'll feel like you're still greasy, but when you dry off, it just absorbs into your skin, and you can definitely feel the difference. It has to be olive oil, not canola or vegetable, though, because apparently olive oil is the only kind that won't clog pores.

Anyway, I don't know if it's supposed to be used on your face, but it works for me!

Shellee said...

That actually sounds pretty nice Laura, a cheap way to get your skin oh so soft. I don't think I'll try it on my face though, I'd be afraid of putting olive oil on it, it would probably make my (face) skin really greasy.

Thanks for that tip Heidi, I'll probably end up trying that! So funny that you ask if I'd remember you, I totally do and I wondered if you remembered me! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Shellee, this is also a problem of mine. For some reason though ever since Olivia was born my skin seems to be a little better. But I also use the Cetphil lotion AND cleanser for oily skin and it seems to work really well. I don't know if you had tried the cleanser yet. I know how frustrating this can be, good luck:) Alison

stephanie said...

Hey Shellee,
This is stephanie and I just found your blog from you myspace. But I wanted to tell you about Acne.org. There is a wealth of information on the site and they also sell no nonsense products that are the only thing that work for my mom and me. We have problem skin too. Anyways hope everything is going good for you. I too have a blog and if i ever figure out how to link it on my myspace I will..

Shellee said...

That's a good idea Alison, duh, I never thought of using the Cetaphil cleanser. I do have a few sample sizes of it, I think I'll try it over the next couple of weeks, we'll see what happens!

Hey, Steph! I didn't know you had a blog, looks like your last entry was in November?? Well, I'm sure with School and Pneumonia (sp?), sorry to hear about that, you're probably pretty busy. Thanks for the website, I'll go surfing right now. ;-)

Megan said...

Happy Easter to you too Shellee! That Children's storybook Bible is at Costco right now and I love it. It's a great 'next step' Bible - longer stories, more in depth than a first Bible would be. My daughter is 3 and I just started reading it to her. A favorite before this one was the Read With Me Bible (great pictures, less words. She still enjoys it). And before that just a very basic children's picture Bible. Sorry, that was a lot of information...

As for the acne, I too struggle. My solution is NOT FUN. I have to ease off the sugars (especially chocolate) and drink more water. Bummer but it works for me.