Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lefse Day!

We had 'Lefse day' on Saturday. For those of you who don't know Lefse (pronounced Lef-Sah) is basically a sweet tortilla made of potatoes, some butter, and a little sugar. I think it's a mid-west thing. Adam's family introduced me to it and we've always had it with butter and cinnamon and sugar. My neighbors are also from the mid-west, but they've always enjoyed Lefse with jam, or they might make a sand which out of it. I guess you could do whatever you wanted! We get together at Luann's the weekend after Thanksgiving (every year) and we women-folk make the Lefse while the men-folk put Christmas lights up on the houses. It's really a great system we have, the guys all get help getting the lights up and we all get to enjoy Lefse for weeks! Luann said she made a quintuple batch this year. Holy cow! But really, that's how much we need! We split it up evenly between our families (though Luann keeps a little extra because we eat it at her house), and give some away, and freeze some, and just enjoy! It makes quite a mess, as you can see in the pics, but it's always fun. It's our way of welcoming Christmas. Luann plays Christmas music, and sometimes we get into flour fights (we didn't this year though). It's a fun tradition that we all enjoy!
Luann - The Roller

Kylie - The Napper

Amy - The Cooker, 'Where's the Lefse? Those pans are hot!'

Bringing the Lefse to the pans.....carefully, carefully.

Me - The Other Cooker. No oil, just throw it on the pan and brown.

The mess....and Amy showing us how Hayden fell asleep in his chair hugging something (a car maybe?). Hee hee.

Lunchtime! We got done in record time this year! It usually takes us all afternoon, but for some reason this year we were done in about 2 1/2 hours. It's probably because the munchkins were outside with the guys, and there were no flour fights to occupy us. ;-) I love this pic. Notice the two huge piles of Lefse on the table, napping Kylie, and Squirrel and Bug watching the (bushy) Squirrels run around in the trees.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I have always thought Lefse is a Norwegian thing. My grandma always used to make it...yum! Her parents, or my grandpa's parents are from Norway. My parents grew up in North Dakota...kind-of a mid west. It was random to read you write all about it! Hope you have a good Christmas time!

Shellee said...

I'm pretty sure you're right! Adam's mom's side of the family is Norwegian (sp?). It's really easy to make, but it does make a mess. I'm sure I could get the recipe if you want to try it out! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love that tradition!! So fun!

Anonymous said...

Had a friend who used to do this ritually. Didn't matter if anybody else did it with her she HAD to make Lefse! I didn't think it was all that good myself but family traditions are made of memories not necessarily recipes. ab