Monday, June 21, 2010

Ouch!!

I'm having the worst sciatic nerve pain. If you've experienced this you know how awful it is. If you've seen someone experience it, you know how awful it is. It's the nerve in the back of my left hip/lower back, running down my bum and the back of my leg into my foot. It's so bad my foot has been tingling for days and my leg almost feels numb. It's not numb in the sense that I can't feel it, it's like it's falling asleep.....with the sharp excruciating pain on top. My back is getting all knotted and sore from trying to find a comfortable position to sit/lay in. I've barely slept the last 2 nights, getting 1 or 2 hours of sleep only to wake for an hour trying to get back to sleep. I can only sleep on my right side, which gets really uncomfortable, but I can't lay on my left or on my back. At around 4am or 5am I just move to the recliner and sleep sitting up with the heating pad. Not that it's any more comfortable, I'm still in constant pain, but at least it's a different position. I can barely get from the couch to the bathroom without crying. It sucks.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with delivering this baby. I'm still hoping for a VBAC, but I have no idea how I am going to push a baby out with this pain. I SOOOO don't want to have surgery, but when I'm screaming and crying from this pain I just want it over with. I saw the doctor today, and have another appointment on Wednesday. We're going to see how things go between now and then. Not sure what might happen. My next post just might be about a new baby.

That's where I'm at. Prayers are welcome! Thank you. ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shellee, I talked to my cousin Teresa's husband Randy tonight and he was asking about the family and I told him about you. He said Teresa had the same thing and one time they were crossing a freeway and she was limping along and all of a sudden she just fell to the ground because her leg went numb. She was just about due to deliver her child too. He said it was a pinched nerve and it was fine after she had the baby. So apparently it is not uncommon. I'm so sorry that you are feeling so much pain and I wish I could help. I hope I will be better tomorrow, or at least by Wednesday.

Love you, Mom

Megan said...

Oh Shelley, that is ROUGH! I'm pretty sure that near the end of pregnancy God prepares us for delivery by making our bodies uncomfortable enough that we will be willing to endure any kind of pain (or surgery) as long as the baby comes out!! I will pray for you and I hope that you can get some rest. I was in constant pain most of my last pregnancy and my doctor told me to take Tylenol PM. it helped me sleep through the pain which makes such a difference. I hope you find some relief, and I can't wait to come here to see pictures of you brand new baby!!

nuage said...

Shellee, don't worry about how you're gonna deliver this baby. You need to get as much quality rest as you can, even if it can only be in small doses at a time, right now. After all, the baby is coming no matter what, and you'll need strength and will either in VBAC or a C-section. So get as much rest as you can in whatever position. Maybe tell the baby to move to his/her right a bit?! (okay, you're probably not in the mood for lame jokes at this point)

Come on, Kai's cousin #15.

(Wow! This is freaky. The verification word is billi.)

Shellee said...

Kate, that's funny! About the word verification. ;-)

I was thinking that if I still have this pain it might mask the contractions....but what's worse, sciatic pain or contractions/pushing a baby out?

I am feeling the teeniest bit better today. I (had to, Adam went into work early) was able to shower by myself. I put in a load of laundry, and I've fed Renee and myself.....hey, that's big compared to the last couple of days. I'm still slow and still in a lot of pain, but hopefully this is a sign that it's wearing off.

Thanks for the nice thoughts. ;-)