With all the talk on the news and internet about BPA and Polycarbonate plastics I've been really concerned about all the plastics in my house....water bottles, food storage containers, everything for baby stuff, etc.... I found myself wondering if this is just another one of those 'everything causes cancer' reports, and if we should 'go organic'.....but the more I looked into it the more I realized how dangerous it is!
I copied this from a website;
*Bisphenol A, or BPA, allows manufacturers to make a rigid and translucent product known as polycarbonate plastic, often _ but not always _ identified by a triangle surrounding the number 7. In canned food and beverages, especially acidic vegetables and fruits, BPA-resin liners stop the contents from eroding the metal container.
But it's also a molecule that mimics estrogen and can leach from receptacles: injection of the agent into lab rodents has been shown to cause hormonal dysfunction and tumours, and scientists believe long-term exposure in humans could lead in some cases to infertility, early puberty, and even breast and prostate cancers.
Infants and children are especially vulnerable to pollutants and toxins because their brains and bodies are still developing, with their cells dividing more quickly than those of adults.
While many manufacturers have stopped making BPA-containing plastic baby bottles and turned to safer alternatives, parents may still be using older products that can leach BPA with heating and washing, as well as from acidic liquids like juice.*
I've gone through almost every piece of plastic (used for food or beverage) in my house, and found a LOT of it to have the number 7 on it!! Yikes! Though it says it may or may not contain BPA / Polycarbonate it still COULD!
All of Renee's baby food ,toddler food, and snack containers had this number 7 on them. I sent Gerber an email asking about their products and how they're made, this was (the most important part of) their reply.....
*Regarding your question concerning number 7 plastic package of pureed baby food, Bisphenol-A is not used in making the plastic cups for Gerberpuree products.*
I then called them at 1-800-4-GERBER and asked about the Toddler food, etc.They told me that the number 7 is used to show that their products use high quality plastics, BUT that BPA / Polycarbonate is NOT used in their plastics! Thank God!
I also read that the number 7 with a 'PC' under it, means there is absolutely Polycarbonate in the plastic, so return, exchange, or toss all those plastics! Or at least use them for something other than food.The last picture is one of my storage containers (that I use for sugar, flour, brown sugar, etc.), which has the number 7 AND the PC. Bed Bath and Beyond told me they are taking back / exchanging these products....even though I've had them for 4 years!
Keep in mind not all of the plastics marked with the number 7 (circled in the triangle) contain BPA / Polycarbonate, but just make sure you educate yourself on this.
Thursday, April 24, 2008
BPA / Polycarbonate Plastics
Posted by Shellee at 4:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
good job
Vote For Ron Paul!!
Adam, you're a dork.
I thought you might be interested in a comment on my WholesomeBabyFood Blog regarding this.
"I have also contacted Gerber on 2 occassions and they indicated to me that their baby food containers were made of #2 and #6. #6 should be AVOIDED. Another mom on my blog also called Gerber and got the same response. I would not recommend Gerber because it seems they are using harmful plastics or they just don’t know what they are talking about since they gave safemama.com and me different information.
Here is my write up:
http://amomsblog.wordpress.com/2007/12/20/bpa-in-gerber-baby-food-containers/
It’s also discussed in the comments here:
http://amomsblog.wordpress.com/2007/11/06/harmful-plastics-polycarbonate-with-bisphenol-a/
I do agree that #7 can indicate the use of 2 different plastics, sometimes both are safe, though Gerber’s containers do not appear to be one of those cases according to 2 conversations I have directly had with Gerber.
Thanks
Trisha
www.amomsblog.wordpress.com"
Why not make your own baby food and skip the Gerber altogether? It's fun and easy too!
GREAT job doing your research Shellee! I was thinking along the same lines as Trisha, you should just make your own. Rae made ALL of Stella's food! And I never heard a complaint about the time it took, or the mess it made. ALL I heard about was how happy she was that she knew EXACTLY what was going into Stella's tummy. I think it helps to ensure that you continue with the fruits and veggies too. YOU get in the habit of buying them regularly and preparing them for your toddler so when the baby mush is done, you're ready because you've been buying fresh produce for so long!
Excellent job and excellent feedback! Making baby food is fun and only as hard as you want to make it. I totally recommend it...check out
wholesomebabyfood.com
and
http://blessingsforlife.com/parenting/babyfood.htm
for some ideas.
I started making my own this time around and it is easy and cheap. I don't know why I didn't do it before. And thanks for all this information. I hadn't done the research and knew I should. I need to look into Avent bottles. Have you heard anything about those or sippy cups?
I haven't heard anything about Avent specifically, but I'm sure there's a chance it's in there. I would just check any plastics in your house (used for food or drink). You could probably check Avent's website, Playtex actually had a statement on their website when I checked it.
This is great sleuthing, you guys. Keep up the good work!!
Ha ha! Who said that?
All you gotta' do is think think think
Look at every clue like the Super Sleuths do, and just think, think, think!
avent bottles should be tossed and not used. they are one of the worst for toxins in the plastic. this was the only bottle that lulu would use (go figure). i would have never brought them in the house knowing what i know now. we would have stuck to the old fashioned, glass bottles.
and (of course) i highly recommend you make R's babyfood. i really loved doing that for my girlies. after ivy quit nursing, it felt so good to still be able to provide her with all of the nutrients she needed- it was a very loving process for me.
here's some of my recipes.
Post a Comment