Really, only moms should read this, they will understand.
So, I'm done. Done nursing, done pumping, done storing, done taking pills, done making milk. I exclusively nursed her for 5 months, I wanted to go 6 months but she needed the rice cereal. We introduced fruits and veggies, but I continued to nurse her. I think it's so important, not only to nurse your baby, but to provide the oh so nutritious breast milk. It came down to only nursing 3 or 4 times a day, then it dwindled down to twice a day (morning and just before the afternoon nap), then only once a day. By the time she was about 13 months she just decided she didn't want to do it anymore. It was hard for me, sad for me, but at least I knew I could pump and keep providing the breast milk she needed. I also made sure to thoroughly enjoy the last few nursings, I remember just staring at her and really enjoying watching and feeling her fall asleep on me. Oh what a wonderful feeling! You moms know what I'm talking about! I started pumping around 5 months, I didn't feel like I was producing enough, so I pumped to increase my supply. I also started taking Fenugreek, which made me smell like maple syrup, but I didn't feel like that made as much of a difference. My Doctor prescribed Reglan for me, which helped. I pumped a few times a day, and I started storing. I've been pumping twice a day now for I don't know how long!! She gets it in her morning oatmeal, and I store the rest. I took my last pill on Saturday and pumped that night. I didn't pump all day Sunday and by Monday morning I had rocks!! They hurt so bad! I pumped Monday morning and I've been fine ever since, I'm not full and I'm not pumping. I guess I'm really done. I'm so glad I stored though, I've got enough to last at least another month or two. It's weird, I'm relieved to be done with it, but I also feel like I'm losing that bond that only I can have with her. Well, I know I did good sticking through it this long.


9 comments:
Aww... it is bittersweet, isn't it? But don't worry, she's still your baby, and she always will be!
P.S. You have a very clean freezer! :)
It's sad that it's over, but wow, great job doing it for as long as you did!! I stopped just before Jack's first birthday because he was trying to stand on my lap while nursing--not cool.
Shell, you did an AWESOME job!
Mom
That's funny Alison....She sat up a few times towards the end. She's actually done the sign for nurse a few times since she stopped, I pulled it out for her but it's like she didn't know what to do with it. Funny! ;-)
Yep Shellee, I did the same thing as you (but didn't store)! I too feel like it is so important, not only for baby (nutritiously) but more for Mom's later years. Blood, Sweat, Tears and Milk. What more will they want?
So true!!
Who said that? Aunt Bonnie?
Wow..great job doing it for so long. I stopped with Peyton when she was 11 months old after she bit me 3 times. Ouch. She was so close to a year that she went right to whole milk and never had to do bottles..so nice. Luke is almost 8 months and I'm still going strong..it's funny though because he weighs 3 pounds more than Peyton did when she weaned so I've never nursed a baby as big as him. Anyway, that was too much info...oh and you do have a clean freezer!
Yeah, Renee bit me a couple times too. She never actually chomped down, but she'd pinch it and kinda' look up at me...what a stinker!
Awwww. Shellee, I completely understand the "Bittersweet" feelings. She has got to be the smartest baby I have ever known (umm, and I had one!), and she is just growing. I feel for you and the loss of that amazing bonding but can't even put into words how proud I am of you for how committed you were and how hard you worked at it!
Post a Comment