I think ultrasounds should be done more than a couple times throughout a pregnancy. Not only so the parents-to-be can see the growth of their baby, not just because it's fun, but also because it'd seem (to me) to make sense for the health and safety of both mother and child.
Wouldn't be a good idea to give a mother-to-be an ultrasound just before an induction? It'd be different if a woman went into labor naturally. Usually contractions start and the water breaks because the baby is ready to make their grand entrance. Though, I'd be all for an ultrasound in this case too! With the high number of inductions, and the high number of C-Sections, don't you think it'd be a great idea to do an ultrasound to make sure everything is ok down there? I have a friend that went in to have her baby boy (she was induced) last week and ended up having a C-Section because his head was turned wrong. Thankfully she didn't experience too much hard labor, her water broke naturally, but had they known before hand she could have had options. She could have opted to try to turn the baby around, or maybe just go ahead with having a C-Section....without labor! The surprise of a C-Section can be devastating to someone if they did not plan it, or just because they don't want one.
I had a C-Section, and I am so very thankful that I had that last ultrasound. Our plan was to be induced on a Thursday, but the preceding Monday I had my non-stress test to make sure Renee was doing fine. When we got to the ultrasound (to make sure she had enough fluid to float around for a couple more days) we found out she was breach. We talked about the option of turning her around, which could take up to an hour, it's pretty painful (and stressful) on both baby and mommy, and I could've ended up having a C-Section anyway. So, I chose to go with the C-Section. I know some people really don't want to have one, but I was ok with it. I'm just happy that I had the option. What if we didn't do the non-stress test and went ahead with an induction? I could've given birth to her breach (my doctor said she can deliver breach babies, but the hospital doesn't like it), or gone through hours of labor and ending up having a C-Section anyway.
I just think doctors, midwives, hospitals, etc. should give more than the 2 or 3 ultrasounds that most women get. I also think they should absolutely do an ultrasound just before an induction. So, there's my rant.
ps. we're gonna' wait until next year to have another baby. sure, we tried, but it didn't happen. on one hand it's a relief...now i have some time to loose some of this fat i'm carrying around, it'll be that much easier with Renee being older and more independent, she'll be out of diapers, we'll be able to plan it a little better, etc.....but it's also a little disappointing....it's so different when you're actually trying, i want a baby, i really want to be pregnant, i want a sibling for Renee, i want to get it 'over with' (and i mean that in the sweetest way).......so it's bittersweet, but oh well. we'll work on it later, but for now let's see if i can get in shape before gaining another 30lbs of baby! Yikes!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Ultrasounds....just thinkin'
Posted by Shellee at 2:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment