Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rae Ann would be so proud

Silly girl playing with her Dora toys.

Let's take a closer look.....
Baby brother is in his bed. Dora and her cousin Daisy are also taking naps, the sled dog is in a 'bed'....even the newspaper is resting happily on the lawn chair. Abuela is standing next to the dinner table, and Papi is sitting on the couch enjoying some cake. Oh, watch out Papi! Swiper is sneaking up behind you!! Swiper no swiping!
Gross! My poor roses. They're diseased, and apparently covered in aphids!
And this is why Rae Ann (and all the other hippies out there) would be so proud! I've actually wanted a clothes line for a long time, but I hate how stiff the clothes are when they come off the line. I guess I could just dry my own and hang everything else up, right? So, I just fashioned this rope to the swing set, the arbor, and the gazebo. Hey, it works. ;-) Now I just need to get some clothes pins.
I'm doing this to save money, reduce our energy use, and because Adam likes it. ;-) I'm afraid of what our electric bill will look like this month! With Daniel on the computer 24/7, and just extra people around, there's a lot more dish washing, laundry, and electricity running through the house.




7 comments:

rae ann said...

OOOOH! yes, you were right- SO PROUD! it looks so pretty!

you can add as much as a half a cup of white vinegar to your rinse cycle and it acts as a natural fabric softener. i just add it where my front loader indicates to add the softener, but i know you can also throw it in in one of those downy balls if you have a top loader.

ikea has really good clothes pins for cheap- in the laundry section downstairs. apparently they're having a sale right now too!

i really LOVE your backyard! it looks so fun! and the laundry really does look pretty!

Alison said...

I was going to suggest Ikea for clothes pins too! I think the are a buck or two for something like 50 of them.

And I use vinegar too on our clothes, but they still come out a little crispy. I sometimes toss them in the dryer for 5 minutes and it does the trick. I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but I figure that 5 minutes is a lot better than the hour it usually takes. Every little change helps, right?

Shellee said...

Thanks for the tips ladies. I am actually pretty glad I did it....even though it feels like a little more work. I've run the dryer for about 1 hour today (to dry my & Neeka's 2 loads of laundry...oh, and to fluff up the jeans after the line), so I guess that is way better than running the thing all day. Plus, with this heat, I don't really 'want' to run it anyway.

I've actually been wanting to make my own soap, I've checked out the recipe you've posted links to Alison. Adam kinda' rolls his eyes at me, but heck, why not? It saves money at the very least. ;-)

nuage said...

Shellee,

I love the fact that you paid attention to how she arranged everything. You're such an awesome mom!

The clothes line looks great. I'm now inspired to put one up in the patio for covers and pillows. After all, sunlight is the best disinfectant! I personally only like using the dryer in the winter. However, we're also running the dryer quite often because Bill hates air-dried clothes. It's totally worth paying a big(ger) bill because we live in the heart of a polluted basin.

Megan said...

Have you dealt with your aphid problem? My roses were experiencing the same unwanted visitors. I was going to buy some ladybugs but ended up using a spray I had from a long time ago. In the years to come, I want to make my yard a insect friendly one so that the right flowers attract the right bugs - my own little ego-system. I'm dorky like that. Anyways, your yard looks fun, I love the clothes line. I'm inspired (yet my dryers is spinning as we speak).

Anonymous said...

Yay, Shellee! One problem I've found with the clothes line is that the black/dark shirts get sun bleached. (I've been doing it whenever I can for years.) It's really not all that much extra work, and so worth it!
Rae & Alison, is there any vinegar smell in any of the clothes?

Anonymous said...

Hey, you guys! I am so proud of you hanging your laundry. The smell of newly washed clothes from the line is wonderful! If it's not too much vinegar in the rinse, Shell. And don't use red wine vinegar.
What I want to find is something that makes your clothes so cling free that cat hair won't stick. Anybody know that one? ab